Monday, March 22, 2010

Even the brightest stars die.


I've been thinking about friendships. Recent and ones from my past. We make promises even now that our friendship will never end. I think back on my past friendships and how close I was with my friends. I would of given my life and various organs and possibly a cousin for them. Now I don't talk to half of them. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a friendship end badly, I would still give my life for all of them, but we fell out of contact. Time has separated us and that friendship we had is just a memory now. What's left is awkward conversations that go like:

"Hi."

"Hi."

"So how are you?"

"Good, good, and you?"

"Fine fine. Been really busy."

"Well that's good to hear. Listen I have to go. Talk later?"

"Yeah, ok."

"Alright bye."

"Bye."

and usually that "talk later" is the same conversation just a few weeks, to a month, to a year later. I love them dearly and wonder how things ever got to be this way. I remember promises of never leaving each other’s side, always being there, getting grey haired and old and watching kids/grandkids together. Is it because of those promises that it's so difficult to reconnect? Because we possibly feel guilt for letting each other out of sight for so long. It soon just becomes easier not to even talk when it used to be we would share everything. An old friend of mine by the name of Megan Thorne said something to me once. It still rings in my ears as I wonder about her now. You see I moved away and everything was good for a time till she moved as well and she fell off the grid. I miss her terribly. She told me once"

"I believe, you are friends with a person until the point you have learned all you can from them and visa versa. Once that is happened you go your separate ways always grateful for the lessons but knowing sadly you will never return."

Maybe she was right. Maybe these relationships only last until you've learned all you can. Holding on any longer can make the friendship turn sour. Friends becoming enemies.

I like to think that no matter where one travels they can always return. Yes it will be different and the road is never the same but a bond once shared can't be broken. Not by time anyways. That the bond you once shared can always be shared again as long as both are willing. Who knows? I miss them all. My friends, those who have touched me, taught me, I loved them as family and in return a bond was created. I won't ever forget them and hopefully one day I will meet them again when we are old and grey, experiences had and lives lived. We can sit back watching little ones play making friendships that we share ourselves, sipping sweet tea, and telling stories. Reminiscing on past adventures and just being friends again. Maybe once all is said and done the fable of life is just that people are gone. Maybe they will always be there and when your old and grey time will bring them back to you. Just maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!!!!!! I am currently going through the same thing... very glad i stumbled onto this page

    ReplyDelete